Note from Nicole
This coming Sunday…
Dear St Andrew Community,
This Sunday begins our “Ask Me Anything” sermon series. We’ve been collecting your questions and they are wonderfully challenging. If you’d like to throw a question into the mix, it’s not too late. Feel free to email Amy or myself or handwrite a question on your communication card and place it into the offering plate.
Our question for this week comes with scripture attached from the 3rd and 14th chapters of John’s Gospel. You know these verses well. We see them on signs at sporting events. They’re used for passwords on church computers, and they are possibly the most referenced passages used to make theological arguments. The first is John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.” And the other is John 14:6, “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’”
The question posed by one of our members, based on these scripture references, is this – “Please speak to the exclusivity of Christianity. In particular the phrase ‘I am the way’. Do you think Jesus is the ONLY way? I often thought of that as I flew over China, here’s a billion people, and very few of them are Christians. Are they let out?”
I will leave the question there without reflection from me, because I don’t want to give any hints of an answer. But I will tell you that I intend to pray to God that I answer delicately and with humility, because I don’t claim to know anything for certain, except maybe this: That my understanding of God, based on Scripture, is that God desires nothing more than to be in relationship with us, and that our relationship with God and others is God’s very being, expressed in love.
Also, this Sunday is Birthday and Anniversary Blessings. I look forward to seeing you on Sunday.
Yours in Christ,
GETTING TO KNOW YOU – CONTINUED VISITS WITH PASTOR NICOLE
Six months into being your new Pastor, I want to reiterate what a joy it’s been getting to know you. Visiting with you, learning about your lives and your faith journeys has helped me also to understand St. Andrew as a whole.
I’d like to keep the visits going with the hope of visiting with those I still haven’t met with one on one. I am happy to meet here at the church, in your home, on the square, or at a coffee shop. Some of you are eager to do this and others might be weary. For those who are weary, please know that I understand and trust the relationship will grow organically, in God’s time.
St. Andrew is a blessed community in so many ways, and there is not a day that goes by that I don’t give thanks to God for the opportunity to serve as your Pastor.
Feel free to email me via the church office at [email protected] to set up a time, or by calling the church office during office hours.
Grace and Peace, Nicole
WORSHIP AT ST. ANDREW ON AUGUST 8TH
St. Andrew Presbyterian Church
Sunday, August 8th
9:00 am – Indoors in our Sanctuary
This service will include music, prayers, birthday and anniversary blessings for those celebrating in August, Scripture, and Rev. Nicole Trotter’s teaching. Reservations are no longer required.
St. Andrew has been, and will continue to be, in compliance with the County and State regulations regarding Covid protocols. We have these guidelines in place for everyone’s safety, in accordance with CDC and Sonoma County regulations, and approved by our Covid Taskforce and St. Andrew Session:
- All in attendance are required to wear masks indoors.
- Do not attend services if you are not feeling well or are exhibiting symptoms such as fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, sore throat, etc.
- We will continue to have doors open to aid airflow throughout the sanctuary and hand sanitizer readily available.
- We ask that all in attendance refrain from hugging and other forms of physical interaction.
- We will reserve a section of the sanctuary for people who prefer to stay physically distanced. When seating yourself at worship services, please be respectful of those sitting in these sections and allow for proper distancing of 6-feet between parties.
- Children will continue to head directly to Sunday School or Childcare and will not join us in worship just yet since some adults will not be masked and not physically distanced. If you prefer your child to be in the sanctuary and he/she is over the age of two, please have your child wear a mask. For indoor activities children should wear a mask, but most activities will take place outdoors, weather permitting.
SUNDAY SERMON VIDEO
If you weren’t able to attend last Sunday’s service, or if you would like to watch Ariel’s sermon again, watch this video of last Sunday’s sermon by Ariel Mink, Stated Clerk of the Presbytery of the Redwoods – “Encountering Jesus”
AUGUST SERMON SERIES
An “Ask it Basket” for Church
Have a theological question? Want to hear more on a specific topic? Some may have questions about the power of prayer, forgiveness or God’s omnipotence. Others may want to know more about a specific bible passage. Others may just want to know how their new pastor makes sense of certain life challenges we all face.
From August 8th through August 29th, Rev. Trotter will be attempting to address your questions through scripture, liturgy, sermon, prayer and song.
We are currently collecting questions for this series from the Congregation. Simply write your question on a communication card and place it the offering plate or you may email Amy, our Office Administrator, directly at [email protected].
All questions will remain anonymous unless otherwise noted. Depending on the response, it’s possible not every question will be addressed.
Please continue your giving during this time, so that St. Andrew may continue to serve our local community and our membership. We recognize that some of you have been impacted financially by economic repercussions of the COVID-19 pandemic. For those of you who can, please continue to give on a regular basis.
There are several options available:
- Give electronically to the St. Andrew General Fund
- Set up your donation to St. Andrew to be paid through your bill paying service at your personal bank.
- Mail a check to St. Andrew, or drop your envelope into our locked mail box: 16290 Arnold Drive, Sonoma, CA 95476